Our LawLawLaw newsletter is about emerging issues in technology, law, baseball, and rock ‘n’ roll. You can subscribe from the form on this page.
Clocktower Law’s founder, Erik J. Heels, maintains a blog at erikjheels.com. Erik has been blogging since 2002. Sample articles appear below.
Patent Law Articles
- How To Start A Boston Patent Law Practice (11/8/2011)
Advice for new Boston patent lawyers.
- Men Of Great Genius: Venetian Senate, Patent Act of 1474 (4/11/2011)
All modern patent statutes are derived from the Venetian Patent Act of 1474.
- Patent Law 101 (1/26/2011)
An introduction to patent law in plain English.
- A Mere Mortal’s Guide To Patents Post-Bilski (Or Why §101 Is A Red Herring) (7/9/2010)
It Don’t Mean A Thing If It Ain’t Got That Swing
- Drawing That Explains Patent Costs (08/17/2007)
How to control the cost of filing a patent.
- Drawing That Explains Patent Laws (7/19/2007)
From Chief Justice to the patent examiner.
- To Search Or Not To Search (12/5/2006)
That is the (pretty simple) question.
- How To Get And Defend A Patent Without Going Broke (8/2/2004)
It is possible for independent inventors and small businesses to acquire patents and protect their ideas without going broke in the process.
Trade Secret Law Articles
- Pirate Nondisclosure Agreement (9/19/2007)
Come show me how ye bury yer treasure, lad!
- If Your Only Tool Is A Hammer (3/2/2002)
Sometimes it is best to get a patent for your invention, sometimes trade secret protection is better.
- Patents vs. Trade Secrets (2/5/2002)
The advantages and disadvantages of protecting business ideas with patents and trade secrets.
Trademark Law Articles
- Madrid Protocol: Affordable International Trademarks For Startups (11/14/2008)
The Madrid Protocol is a great option for startups who want foreign trademark protection but don’t want to file trademarks in separate countries.
- The Brand Wars Are Coming, The Brand Wars Are Coming! (7/1/2007)
How to defend your brands on the Internet.
- Just Say Moo – How To Name And Brand Your Product To Make It Stand Out From The Crowd (12/8/2003)
Good branding can separate your cow from the other cattle.
Domain Name Law Articles
- Scamming The Chinese Domain Name Scammers http://www.erikjheels.com/2738.html (6/3/2011)
Don’t Fall For China Domain Name Fraud. Seek The Deeper Meaning Of Words.
- How To Twittersquat The Top 100 Brands (1/8/2009)
A call for the creation of the Uniform Username Dispute Resolution Policy.
- Domain Name Law (1/28/2008)
White hat domainers are not black hat cybersquatters.
- Erik J. Heels Announces Start-Up Heels.com Shoe Store (11/12/2007)
With the name Heels, Erik Heels was destined to be either a podiatrist or a shoe salesman.
Copyright Law Articles
- SpongeBob, Dracula, and Copyright (8/17/2011)
Content owners have been getting it wrong for a long time. Plus why 1995-2025 is the dark ages of the Internet.
- Drawing That Explains Copyright Law (7/18/2007)
Copyright rights, unregulated uses, and fair use.
- How To Write, Copyright, And Publish Your Own Book (11/19/2002)
Self-publishing books is much easier than it used to be. It can also be fun and, if you do it well, profitable.
- Ease-of-Copying In The Digital Age – Turning A Negative Into A Positive (4/29/1996)
Rather than worrying about ease-of-copying, owners of copyrighted works should use it to their advantage.